Though most personal use boats don’t require insurance by law it’s important to think of your boat in the same way as you think of your car. There’s a lot at play, and at risk on the water.
Boat insurance helps ensure you’re protected so you can focus on the fun.
In Ontario safe boating starts with a Pleasure Craft Operating Card which is required for most insurance policies.
Boat Insurance Covers:
If someone is injured while water skiing, tubing or wakeboarding behind your boat or by simply riding along, boat insurance will cover the liability for those injuries. Most boaters are very cautious but accidents happen. If you hit someone swimming in the water or another boat and injure someone else you’d also be covered.
Damage To Your Boat
If your boat is stolen, vandalized, or otherwise damaged by someone else you’d be covered.
Damage To Someone Else’s property
Some marinas are pretty tight. If you accidentally run into another boat while docking you might be on the hook to pay for the damage. With boat insurance you’re covered for this kind of accident.
Uninsured Boat Coverage
If you’re in an accident with an uninsured boater you’ll be covered.
Pays for the cost of towing your boat if it breaks down.
Since it’s usually a little too cold for boating in the winter most people store their boats for the season. The amount and type of coverage available for your boat depends on where you are storing it and for how long. Our team can help you find the right coverage for your boat while it’s in storage.
Small boats without motors like kayaks, canoes and stand up paddle boards (SUP) can often be added to your home or cottage policy. Talk to our team about adding a small boat to your policy.
Get a Boat Insurance Quote
How would you like to be contacted?
Boat Safety Tips
6 Steps to Boat Safety
- Keep your Pleasure Craft Operator (PCO) card with you. Federal regulations specify that anyone who operates a boat with a motor in Canada must have a PCO card. If you don’t carry your card you could be hit with a $250 fine and risk having your insurance cancelled.
- Check The Weather Forecast. Check for dangers such as high winds or thunderstorms.
- Plan Ahead. Know where you are going, especially if you’re boating in Northern Ontario where much of the shoreline looks the same. Getting lost on the water is no fun. Bring a map and tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Fill up on Gas and Bring a Safety Kit. Ensure that your boat has enough fuel for your outing. Keep tools, spare parts, a first-aid kit and other safety equipment – such as paddles, whistles and flares – on board.
- Have Enough Life Jackets. The law requires boats to be equipped with a Canadian-approved lifejacket or PFD of an appropriate size for each person on board. Make sure your PFD is comfortable and allows for easy movement. Check that seams are intact and all snaps, belts and zippers work properly. Remember, bright colours are easier to spot in an emergency.
- Boats and Booze Don’t Mix. Sun, wind, noise, glare, vibrations and motion can heighten the effect of alcohol on your balance, vision, judgment and coordination. Don’t allow a person who has consumed alcohol to operate a boat.
Featured Insurance Resources
05 September 2019 /
Fatal error: Uncaught Error:  operator not supported for strings in /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-content/themes/navigators/footer.php:166 Stack trace: #0 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-includes/template.php(704): require_once() #1 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-includes/template.php(653): load_template('/nfs/c09/h02/mn...', true) #2 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-includes/general-template.php(76): locate_template(Array, true) #3 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-content/themes/navigators/products.php(251): get_footer() #4 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-includes/template-loader.php(77): include('/nfs/c09/h02/mn...') #5 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-blog-header.php(19): require_once('/nfs/c09/h02/mn...') #6 /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/index.php(17): require('/nfs/c09/h02 in /nfs/c09/h02/mnt/209200/domains/navigatorsinsurance.ca/html/wp-content/themes/navigators/footer.php on line 166